African Safari and Costume Jewelry
Posted by Laurie Zeiden on
Ask someone to tell you the first thing they think of when you say Africa and I bet it's the animals. We've all been to the zoo, we've all sat through nature travelogues and the images of the large and varied animal population of the continent remains foremost in our minds.
Animals are very popular motifs in costume jewelry and the variety of species in Africa lends itself to a jewelry collection. I'm going to focus on the mammals. Let's start the safari.
- A giraffe has seven neck vertebrae
- A giraffe heart weighs approximately 22 pounds
Kenneth Jay Lane Bracelets in Two Colors
Unsigned Pin and Running Giraffe by Sphrinx
- A lion's life span is 10-14 years
- A cub will start hunting at 11 months but will stay with its mother for 2 years
Two Lion Cub Pins, the 1st unsigned, the 2nd by Hobco
Pin by JJ and Antique Vulcanite Pin
Pin on left by Jomaz, Pin on right by Ceou Lih
- One-hump or dromedary camels are native to Africa; bactrian or two-hump camels are native to Asia
- Camel poop is so dry that it is used to start fires
- September 22nd is Elephant Appreciation Day
- Be sure to see my blog post from 13 June 2016 for more photos
James Avery Silver Pin
Ciner Elephant Pin
Kenneth Jay Lane Bracelet
Hattie Carnegie Pin
CHEETAHS / LEOPARDS
- Cheetah is the fastest land animal
- Cheetahs have longer legs than leopards and are leaner
- Cheetah is the only big cat that purrs rather than roars
- Leopards are the smallest of the "big cats"
Jaguar Pin by Olivia Garay and Silver Cheetah ring
Pin by Carolee; Set by Kenneth Jay Lane
- Antelopes do not shed their horns
- Elands, Gazelles, Impalas and Wildebeests are all types of antelopes
Mixed Metal Pni by Tono, Taxco, Mexico
- Scientifically the closest relations of the hippopotamus are surprisingly cetaceans such as whales and dolphins
A hippo has a 45 year life span
- Pronounced ZEH-BRA rather than ZEE-BRA according to my South African friend Ruth
- Like human fingerprints, zebra stripes are unique to each animal
Unsigned Cloth Pin
Sadly, I have no images of rhinos, hyenas, water buffalo, anteaters or the other animals of Africa. Be sure to check my shop for your African animal jewelry needs!
I leave with this silly quote from W.C. Fields: "Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water."
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Animal Jewelry